Prep Time: 2-2.5 hours
Cook Time: 0-5 minutes
- 1½ cups short grain rice, washed well, soaked, boiled till slightly overdone and cooled
- 1½ cups Desi Natural Dahi
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp dhuli urad dal (split skinless black gram)
- ½ tbsp crushed ginger
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 12-15 curry leaves
- Take the overdone rice in a large bowl, add Desi Natural Dahi and salt to taste and mix. Gently mash with the back of the spoon while mixing or you could mix with your hands as well.
- Add green chillies and milk and mix well.
- For the tempering, heat a pan, add vegetable oil and heat. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté till the seeds splutter.
- Add dhuli urad dal (split skinless black gram), ginger and dried red chillies and sauté for 1 minute.
- Switch off heat and add curry leaves, mix and allow the tempering to cool.
- Pour the cooled tempering over the curd rice and mix well.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, chill and serve.
Chef’s tip: You may let the mixture cool in the refrigerator first then add the tempering or you may add the tempering first and then allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator. Curd rice tastes the best when served chilled.